Tuesday, March 13, 2007

An Interview with Brian Nowac - Part 2

So, like, before even more amazing news breaks on Siege, we thought we'd give y'all the second half of our interview with bmovieonline guru Brian Nowac.

So.. here it is.

**

B-Movie Writers: What's the desired budget range for your film?

Brian Nowac: I really don’t think in terms of budgets, I think in terms of profits.

Unfortunately the rest of the world wants to know about budgets, that is why B MOVIE ONLINE’s co-founder Abhi Singh is in the picture. He worries about what the budgets are, and that is also why our other co-founder Jason Clause is here. He worries about where the budgets come from.

But I’m told our budget range for production is $250k to $500k.

BMW: How are you planning on casting your film? A few more "job openings" posted on the site?

BN: Absolutely, with the exception of the production crew, all the people involved in this project will be recruited via the Internet. We have several different angles to filling the cast we will be using, all capitalizing on tools the Internet is offering.

BMW: What sort of roll-out are you anticipating for your movie? Wide release? Festivals? Straight-to-DVD?

BN: That will all depend on two things: Buzz & Eligibility. As I’m sure you know the film festivals (at least the big ones) have pretty tight restrictions on the entrees. Based on how we are promoting the film, even before it’s made we may be out of the picture for most of these festivals.

It will also depend on how big the buzz is about the picture before it’s done. If we have people beating down our doors to release the film in nationwide theatres we will.

But I anticipate a smaller release in select second run theatres across the country, followed by a major push to the online downloadable market through online paid film & video content providers like: iTunes, AOL video, and others.

BMW: Why is your site entirely on video, and not text?

BN: Times are changing, the Internet is quickly becoming the chosen entertainment medium of our target market of viewers. Our site is made to entertain and interact with people.

We want our viewers to come to our sight, see and hear someone telling them about what we are doing. We don’t want them to have to read about it.

Think about it like a reality TV show that you can watch anytime you want and even select the characters you want to follow and weed out the ones you aren’t interested in.

Or consider this: when you turn on your TV to watch the evening news, the anchorman doesn’t hold up a copy of the day’s newspaper to the camera and let you read the stories. Who said the Internet has too.

Well anyway, I say it doesn’t and BMovieOnline.com reflects that ideology.

BMW: How many takes did you need to get your intro speech down?

BN: Usually the video shoots work out pretty well. One or two cracks at it and it’s in the can. That one in particular was easy, I only had to deliver the lines once or twice everything else was done in post.

However, that is not always the case. In my most recent update I was so tired it took me about 20 attempts just to get it all out, and I still think I missed things.

BMW: You come across in the clip as very intense. A little intimidating. Was that on purpose? To scare away the pussies?

BN: I don’t want to scary anyone away, but I do want them to know I mean business. I mean, I want people to know how serious I am about making this thing work.

In reality I’m kind of a silly guy and I wanted to shake any trace of that in the first impression I gave on the web site.

BMW: You posted your wedding video to YouTube, mixed in with you and your wife lip-syncing Time of My Life from Dirty Dancing. It's actually really sweet, and you guys look shamelessly in love. Your wife is hot. That's it, no question. Just… your wife is hot. Well done.

BN: Word.

BMW: You are B Movie Online. Are you worried of becoming too successful and having to change your name?

BN: No, B Movies are worried about me becoming too successful and having to up their standards.

BMW: What's your dream scenario coming out of this?

BN: I want paparazzi to take pictures of my crotch as I get out of cars.

BMW: Finally, what's one thing you want people to know about B Movie Online?

BN: I want them to know that they aren’t cool unless they check it out at least once a week.

BMW: And really finally, you guys are bmovieonline.com. We're bmoviewriters.com. Is it just me, or is that a match made in heaven?

BN: If our accountant says we can file jointly and save money, I’m up for anything.

**

There ya go, I hope you enjoyed this peek inside the mind of a Big Time San Francisco Movie Producer.

And for the record, his wife IS hot.