Wednesday, March 07, 2007

Interview with Brian Nowac - Part One

After our successful interview with Gordy Hoffman, and the news of all the free press and publicity it brought him, we have become inundated with requests from some of the top people in show business.

It's the best of both worlds right now, as we pick and choose who to bless with this incredible opportunity. We wanted our next interview subject to be someone exciting, revolutionary, and incredible. And desperate for publicity. So we, bmoviewriters.com, hooked up with bmovieonline.com. At first, it was, well, Charlie entered our new URL wrong. But Dude! There's someone there! So we interviewed them. Specifically, Brian Nowac, the head cheese himself.

It was such an incredible interview, that we're chopping it up into two posts. We'll post part 2 later in the week, after both of you have had a chance to read part 1.

Who is Brian Nowac? What is http://www.bmovieonline.com? Well, they're kinda, sorta a screenwriting competition. But not really. They're making a movie, and they want to make YOUR movie. And they, well, damn it, I'll let Brian tell you.

**

B-Movie Writers: Brian, thanks for taking the time out of your busy life as a big time San Francisco Movie Producer to talk to a couple of lowly bloggers.

Brian Nowac: Lowly? Come on guys, don’t be so hard on yourself. This is a B Movie blog right, which only makes you “Second Class” not bottom of the barrel.

BMW: In your own words, what is B Movie Online?

BN: BMovieOnline.com is not just a website, it’s a revolutionary communication web site totally driven by video vs. text, it’s an interactive video portal to the behind the-scenes world of an independent feature film.

With our web site, B MOVIE ONLINE is set to challenge the film studio model, open doors and break down the walls of the Hollywood mansion.

In short, B MOVIE ONLINE will use nontraditional film production, financing, Internet buzz and cyber communities, and get undiscovered talent off computer desktops and onto the big screens.

BMW: OK, that sounded like someone else's words. Maybe a publicist. How about, "What is B Movie Online?" in 20 words or less.

BN: It’s a kick ass idea that uses all the tools available on the Internet to develop untapped talent desperate to be a part of the film industry and gives them the exposure they need to become a part of it.

BMW: That was 40.

BN: Okay try this: B MOVIE ONLINE is a gateway into the film industry for America’s undiscovered talent in writing, acting and film production.

BMW: How did you get your start in show business?

BN: Lip sinking to Michael Jackson’s “Thriller” album on the couch in my parent’s living room!

Actually performing is not really where my interest lay, I’m a behind the camera man at heart.

I started making short movies with video cameras and toys as a kid. In high school, it became video cameras and friends in the movies.

Then I went to college and got some “formal education”. I graduated with a BA in Mass Media Communication, and immediately moved out to LA to sign the “Rich-n-Famous Contract”.

That was about 10-years ago, apparently my contract got lost in the mail.

BMW: What makes you qualified to make a movie? Aside from, you know, having money.

BN: Actually, personally I don’t have any money. I’m broke as a joke. Any I do have gets rolled directly back into one of my two company’s; either B MOVIE ONLINE, or BARS+TONE Productions (www.bars-tone.com).

BARS+TONE is an established production company here is San Francisco that I co-own with two other people. We do predominantly corporate work, to pay the bills, but we do it well working for big business like GAP, Sephora, Chevron and Circulon.

It’s really been at BARS+TONE that I have honed my skills in production. I came on board here in 2004 and since then have worked on well over 100 different projects of varying size, type and genre.

It has also been at BARS+TONE that I have sharpened my skills and knowledge of PR, Marketing and Advertising. Which are all key elements in what makes B MOVIE ONLINE work.

BMW: On your website, http://www.bmovieonline.com, you advertise an opening for a script writer. What does the job pay? Does it come with benefits? 401k? Guaranteed spot on the softball team?

BN: Short answer:

Yes, Yes, No, Kinda (we got a kickball team, or we would if I had any time to register us in a league)

Long answer:

Pay? Yes, the writer we bring onto our team will be given a paid contract & script option to join our team. The Contract/Option will be based on their experience and the required budget to complete their script. Its percentage based as well, so more than likely the chosen applicant will make substantially more than they would through the traditional option process.

We at B MOVIE ONLINE appreciate what goes into writing a script and want to be sure the writer gets their payout.

Bene’s? You damn right, sex, drugs and Rock’n’Roll. Not to mention B MOVIE ONLINE is all about exposure, as you can see everyone involved with us, gets their own little opportunity to promote themselves in a big way.

401K? Not yet, but if I get my way, everyone involved with B MOVIE ONLINE will have their own retirement fund in the bank when we’re finished with this film.

Softball? Not yet, like I said we got a kickball team, or we would if I had any time to register us in a league

BMW: Why have you turned to the World Wide Web to find a script? Why not comb random local college screenwriting classes?

BN: I’m open to accepting applications from college students; I’m open to accepting applications from anyone… I would rather get something and tell someone “No,” than miss out on the next Neil Simon.

But frankly, I could get a script just about anywhere. We decided to do the Script Writer Search as a means to a) discover some unknown talent and b) to attract attention to our site.

One of our goals is to develop an audience that already has time vested in the idea by the time the film is actually released.

We’re basically “stacking the deck” in a sense.

BMW: Do you plan to use the script that is submitted, or are you looking for a writer who will write from an original idea of yours?

BN: I’m looking to find someone who has written a good script, something I can sink my teeth into. I would love to develop a good relationship with our chosen writer and work on future projects with them as well. But for this time around, I want what’s in their heart, and I want to bring it to the big screen.

BMW: What are you really looking for in a script? You claim to want a comedy, romantic comedy, or a suspense/thriller. Why not horror? Ketchup is pretty cheap these days, and since horror usually takes place at night, you'd save on lighting.

BN: I have no problem with Horror. Shit, nothing sells like it from a low budget perspective.

But, again I don’t want to miss out on that script that would be perfect for our project just because I limited the genre. I don’t want to limit our selection at all.

Horror scripts welcome! Hell, I’ll do a Christmas movie if the script is good. In fact, I’d love to do a Christmas movie, I love Christmas!

BMW: As any writer will tell you, the hardest part is getting your script into the right hands. You may have written the best lesbian/tort reform thriller, but it's worthless unless someone reads it who wants to make a lesbian/tort reform thriller. Here you come, like a knight in shining armor, ready to pluck a scribe from obscurity and help them taste the sweet smell of success. My question is: would you be interested in a lesbian/tort reform thriller?

BN: A lesbian/tort reform thriller, I haven’t read a script for one yet, but I wouldn’t be apposed to it. Being a “Lesbian” is a very “in” thing these days. I think a flick like this would do well.

**

There you are, words of wisdom from Brian Nowac, head cheese at bmovieonline.com. Check back later in the week for part 2. In the meantime, start working on those hot lesbian/tort reform thrillers!