Thursday, August 16, 2007

Screw It... Why Not...

So a couple of weeks ago I did something I never thought I'd do.

I've always poo-poo'ed the idea.  It seemed too populist.  Too... for the masses.  I mean, if there was any value to it, it wouldn't be open to ever a-hole with a copy of Final Draft, right?

What'd I do, you ask?

What'd I do, Dave, no doubt, is asking?

Well... I entered our raunchy comedy, Murphy's Law, into a screenwriting competition.

Like I said - normally I'm not a fan.   When was the last time you heard about a huge, box-office hit, with record-breaking grosses and star-making performances that came from a screenwriting competition?

Never.  Right.  Hell, not even Matt Damon and Ben Affleck could churn out a decent flick with Project Greenlight.

Still... I really like this dirty little comedy.  It's funny, and it's earned a place in my heart, and... well... right now it's dead in the water.  Dave's agent's cousin's valet's pimp has said he/she will give it a read, but beyond that, it's basically a doorstop.  My film industry buddy read it and thought it was really funny, but wasn't sure he got what genre it is (have we harped enough yet on how befuddling this comment is?), so I'm not counting on him.  That means either we hustle, or we add it to the stack of clunkers that were fun to write but never see celluloid.

And I'm not ready to let that happen yet.  So I'm beating the bushes.  Talking to people about it.  Showing it to anyone that'll read it.  And, yes... I've crossed that line and submitted it to a decent-sized competition, that judges both overall as well as genre features.

Here's hoping that there's a "Raunchy Teen Comedy With Natalie Portman Jokes and Gratuitous Use Of The Word 'C*ck'" genre.

- Charlie

Blogged with Flock