Thursday, December 07, 2006

Honoring the Kim Family.

Just a quick diversion from the usual whining about not hearing from Producer Dude and grousing about Dave rewriting everything I put to paper…

Yesterday afternoon, searchers in Oregon found the body of CNet editor James Kim, a day after his wife and two young kids were found safe and alive.

For some reason, I find myself unusually drawn to this sad story of a person I don’t really know. It could be because he’s a fellow writer, gadget-lover, and internet-denizen. It could be because of the courageous way he and his wife struggled against the elements for nearly 2 weeks, keeping the kids alive and healthy despite the harsh conditions. And it could be how he ultimately perished setting off, with little to protect himself from the weather, to find help… knowing it was a huge risk he had to take for his family.

I think it’s all of the above.

Bottom line… he was one of us, and I mourn his passing, and honor his valiant effort to save his family and seek out their rescue. And I also salute his wife, who fought equally hard, doing everything she could to keep the kid's healthy. In the end, though he lost his life, they succeeded. They're both heroes.

His friends are raising money for the family to pay for the rescue efforts (much of which was privately funded). http://jamesandkati.com/. Give generously if you can.

Charlie