Friday, December 01, 2006

Mining the Past for Gold

So now I'm at that wondrous point of work where I'm at the beginning of the project.

The Pygmy/Shopping Mall/Lego Epic Biblical Romance pic is off to the Manager. I'll hear about it in a couple of weeks or so. Some other personal (non-Charlie) projects are at stopping points for various reasons. The world is fresh, it is time to start anew.

So I'm opening up some old projects.

The comedy that I gave to Charlie is an old script. Brilliantly funny, of course, but old. So I'll let Charlie gnash his teeth and re-write it, fit in all the lesbian stuff he's been dying to write since he first saw Natalie Portman on screen, etc. Then I'll read his work, cough, and rewrite everything.

Without telling my manager, who doesn't want me to waste time on this project.

Because she wants me to work on my personal new project.. another old script of mine.

Well, old idea, at least. I liked this idea a few years ago, wrote some thoughts out, diddled a few scenes in Final Draft. So now I'm coming back to it, changing everything, starting over, but keeping the essence of the spirit of the flavor of the piece.

It's a fun story, one I've always liked, and so I'm enjoying diving back into it. Especially now that I'm writing. Notes are important, but some times, it gets hard to hold back from just diving in. Steven King has an article in a recent E Weekly where he and the guys who created Lost talk about how they rarely know how the story will end when they start. They just start writing and see where it takes them.

That's nice. I can't always do that. I need to have a goal to aim for. With this story, I have a brief outline, beats, an ending climax, and an ending button. I know where it goes, I kinda know how it gets there, I just need to fill in the guts of the script, make it a story that you (or, well, people who have money to spend on horror scripts) will like.

So I'm hoping Charlie takes my old script and spins gold. And I'm hoping that I'm able to turn my scary thoughts and ideas into a chilling script that knocks you out of your seat. And I'm hoping My Manager likes the finished script I just sent her from me and Charlie. And I'm hoping something happens with Siege.

Mostly, I'm hoping for world peace.

Rock On.