Tuesday, April 03, 2007

Early Reviews Are In...

So as Dave's previously mentioned, I've been working on a punch-up of a raunchy-comedy that he wrote a few years ago.

I remember when I first read it maybe 5 or 6 years ago... I thought it was VERY funny and VERY raunchy. Dave made more use of a term for male genitalia that rhymes with "sock" in that screenplay than I'd ever seen in a 90 minute period. Well... except maybe in Golden Boyz III.

So anyhow, we've resurrected it. I've done a first pass edit and sent out to a few people for feedback. This morning a colleague, and fellow screenwriter, came by my desk after sitting on the thing for weeks.

"Charlie... I don't know what you're worried about with this script. This is freaking hilarious. I LOVED it. I laughed my ass off over this thing."


I was incredulous. "Really? Like... LOVED it? Yer just being nice, right?"

But no. He really thought it was great. This guy, who used to work in TV, went on to say he thought it was one of the better written, punchier, wittier comedy screenplays he's seen in awhile. And while he's not exactly sitting at ICM making decisions, he is a guy with decent taste.

So... I think we have something worth showing around, maybe.

He's going to give me detailed notes, and I'm still hoping for a few more, and then I'll punch it up some more.

And then it'll go out by any possible means available. Wrapped in a Buy-1-Get-1 coupon for The Cheetah in Hollywood and tossed thru the door of CAA. Slipped through Chris Moore's barely open convertible ragtop. Buried under a dime of blow in the mens's room at Nobu. Whatever it takes, man.

Meanwhile, Dave's just finishing up HIS pass at a rewrite on the un-named Copacabana/Latin-American-Revolutionaries/Murder-She-Wrote-Remake screenplay. He's giving the characters some much needed depth, and then will hand off to me for some further tweakage:

"Hey Charlie - what could we have eat this one chick if it isn't a giant tentacle monster? My guy says tentacle monsters are played out."


"Really? I love tentacle monsters. I dunno... lemme think..."

"Ok dude. Its yours. I'll save that part for you."

And so it goes.

Charlie


Keywords: , , , , , , ,