Wednesday, April 04, 2007

Passing the Buck

So I've been furiously writing on the Casablanca remake/eco-drama/teenage sex romp that we've been working on. My plan was to go through the entire thing, fix characters, move the big reveal up, make it good. But skip over the one scene that I want Charlie to do because.. well.. a) I'm lazy and b) he has to do something if he wants to keep his name on it, right?

That scene is about 2/3 of the way through the script. So I got to that point. Then, being extremely clever and witty, wrote something like "HERE CHARLIE WRITES A FANTASTIC SCENE THAT PROBABLY INVOLVES A LESBIAN SEX SCENE" and skipped to the next scene.

But then I started finding all sorts of dialogue and motivation that was based on what happened in that scene. Hurt feelings from those left out of the orgy, degrading YouTube footage, moist toys, what have you. And I realized that, damn it, I need to know what happens in that scene in order to move forward.

So I punted back to Charlie. He can take it from here.

I told him I just need him to do the aforementioned missing scene, but deep down, and don't tell him (Charlie, if you're reading this, skip ahead to the next paragraph) I'm hoping he'll take it and run. He's a good writer (PLEASE don't let him know I said that) and has a lot of really good ideas, even if not as many deal with lesbians as I think they should. So we'll see what he does.

Meanwhile, hearing that Charlie got positive feedback on our raunchy comedy brings a smile to my face. Fingers crossed, let's see what else we get back on it and then see what kind of notes we get and then see how Charlie runs with those notes and then see how the intended target of this script reacts. At that point, if the target likes it, I should probably tell My Manager that the script went out. I fully intend to tell them, I'm just.. dragging my feet a bit. NO use bucking the system before there's a need.

Because My Manager specifically told me not to spend time on that comedy. They want me to be the dark/horror/supernatural writer in their stable. So fine, I'm not working on it. I just handed it to Charlie and said "God be with you." So I haven't actually spent any time working on it. It's working on it's own. Meanwhile, I finished up the 8th version of the TV treatment (the changes between version 7 and version 8? A couple of words.) and by later today, it should be back in the hands of the Big Production Company that is all over this like honey on my prom date.

Things are moving. My balls are in the air. Also similar to my memories of prom.

Rock on.