Thursday, May 17, 2007

Birth of a Crazy Idea

People always ask me, "Where do you get your ideas?"

Well OK, no. No one ever asks me. Because no one cares. I'm all alone in this world. Insignificant. Pointless. Oh, what's the use? I give up.

But anyway.

When the imaginary people in my mind ask me about my wellspring of inspiration, I usually say something along the lines of:

"In my head."

While the truth is often a jumbled combination of "I saw something on TV and thought I could do something similar and better." and "Someone told me a story that I thought was a piece of something I could turn into a story." or "I just killed a man and stole his secret journal... should be good for another two or three scripts right there." there is also some truth to my pat answer.

Take the circus clown/submarine/bikini hi-jinx script that Charlie and I are working on. It literaly began in my head. I saw, late one night while lying in bed, what would turn out to be the first 20 pages of the script. The set-up. (I'm good at set-ups. Who isn't?) So I woke up, wrote it down, and sent it Charlie to see what he thought.

It's often how I work.

Well lightning has struck again. Literally, we had thunder storms yesterday.

And I had an idea.

Similar in some ways to some other stuff out there. Definitely different in other ways. Unique yet recognisable. Fun. Big budget. Blockbuster. Tailor-made for sequels.

So I wrote down the first 6 pages, which actually covers a lot of information. Now I'm stepping back and hashing out the entire plot before moving forward.

And it's coming along really quickly. I'm kinda jazzed.

Is this the next David/Charlie epic? Is this just the next David epic? Dunno, but right now, I'm leaning towards wanting to tell the whole story myself. But I just wanted to share with both of you the crazy blast of inspiration that jolted my noggin yesterday when I should have been concentrating on driving the car.

Oh, and Producer Dude says we'll get on the contract next week. Yada yada. And we should have the Interview with the Big, Well-Connected Guy later this week- though quite a bit of the circumstances around this interview have suddenly changed. Love Hollywood. And My Manager just emailed me to let me know I won't be hearing from them until next week.

So there's your status update.

Rock on!