Saturday, June 02, 2007

Spark of Life Proves Hollywood Harmony

I have a new belief. A new mantra. Though I don't say it aloud all the time, just when my 18 month old is around, since he isn't gonna tell me I'm being strange.

All will be well. Relax. Breathe deeply. He wanted her. She'd never tell. Secretly she wanted him as well.

Damn, sorry, started to channel Avril Lavigne.

See, a long time ago in when life held promise and joy.. like 9 or 10 months ago... I had a script. It was a good script. It got sent around town. (Hollywood, not, say, Boise) I had meetings. Life was good.

But no one wanted to make the script. So no biggie. My Manager and I moved on to the next project, and all was well. Though I still shed a tear every now and then for the script that was my first love.

So naturally, out of the blue, there's life in them thar script again.

A guy at a company read it, liked it, we talked about how he wants to change it, I said no problem (if you're gonna make the movie, I'll even take out the lesbians).

(Not that there are lesbians in the movie. Not yet, at least.)

And now this guy is gonna take it up the ladder to his boss. And if his boss lies it, there are no other bosses to impress. It's a 2-gate system. And I'm through the first gate with flying colors.

Of course, the budget range of this new company is.. well.. actually.. kinda.. similar to Producer Dude. But since the contact is through My Manager, I'll get a ton more money for it. They may even pay me in American money, which would be a first. (You know how hard it is to find someone who'll exchange Tibetan currency?)

And what did I do to get the heat burning on this script? Nothing. Nothing at all. My manager told me she still sends it around every now and then, you know, for shits and giggles. And got a bite.

Just like that.

See, the more sticks in the fire, the more chances of a bite. So I started counting my sticks.

Siege. That's a good stick. Contract talk, movement, what have you. A good stick.

Raunchy Sex Comedy script in the hands of former exec. Another stick. Not as exciting a stick as when former exec was, in fact, exec. But he still knows people, still wants to make movies, and still has our script. It's a stick.

Original horror script with new life. A stick. Can't call it anything else.

TV project. Another stick. Though it has cooled over time for reasons which I won't go into at the moment. But it's still a strong stick. And My Manager is going to move Heaven and Hell to cash that stick in. Which is a good thing.

Another old script of mine that Producer Dude owns. Haven't talked about this one in a long time. But since Producer Dude is in a chatty mood, I asked him about it. He said "I was going to tell you. I may get some money and get the rights to this away from the Development Hell it's currently stuck in. I'll know more in a few weeks.

So that's five sticks. All five burning with people besides me. I mean in the hands of folks who could, might, maybe, do something about them. I have 5 sticks burning. One of them has to catch fire, right?

So I'm just gonna do what I do and not worry about it. You can't hurry Hollywood. You can only keep jabbing it with sticks until you poke someone in the eye and score.

So for now I'm just a Sk8er Boi.