Thursday, February 01, 2007

Check me out, I've got a development deal!

Well, no.

But then, well, yeah.

See, My Manager hooked me up with a Big Company (a different Big Company, not the one looking at Siege). They (the Big Company I'm referring to in this post) read a big-ass 40+ page writer's Bible I created for a TV show pitch that My Manager and I have cooked up. They (B.C.) like it. We had a call. I talked to Mr. K. (my name for him. Not his real name. I don't use real names in this blog, or did you think someone named their kid "Producer Dude"?) Mr. K. really liked my idea, we played with it back and forth on the call, he had some great ideas, and none of his ideas really changed my idea, which is a good thing.

See, often time, or at least so I'm told, executives will get an idea i their heads. They want to make a show about, say, a talking lizard. So they'll find a TV pitch all about bringing Godzilla to the small screen in a series. They'll say "hey, Godzilla is a lizard!" So the executive tells the writer's people that he wants to meet with the writer. They meet. The writer is, of course, totally excited that someone wants to make his show about Godzilla. (Nevermind that the writer is racing head-long for a lawsuit from the Japanese company that owns Godzilla) So the writer gets on the call and it goes something like this.

Executive: Your show idea is great.

Writer: Thanks!

Executive: Godzilla is hip. Lizards are hip right now.

Writer: I know!

Executive: Who do you see as Godzilla?

Writer: Well he's probably CGI.

Executive: I know, I know. But for the voice.

Writer: ...voice?

Executive: I think he should talk. Don't you think he should talk?

Writer: Well... he can grunt...

Executive: Maybe Ray Romano. He does voices. He's very funny.

Writer: Ray Romano as Godzilla?

Executive: And maybe his family, the ones who own him, they have to hide the fact that their pet lizard talks.

Writer: Godzilla is someone's pet? He stomps on buildings.

Executive: Plastic ones, sure. In his cage. And says something witty when he does it. like "Boo-ya!"

Writer: That's not witty.

Executive: Well I'm not a writer, but you get the idea. I think this show is great, and you're the guy to make it happen. I could sell this.

Writer: We're not talking about my idea anymore, are we?

Executive: So when can I see a pilot script?

Writer: Am I being punk'd?

But Mr. K, he's on the same page as I am. It's the same show. It's (going back to the metaphor) Godzilla stomping on buildings every week. But, like, he thought it would be cool if we also saw Godzilla fight Mothra every now and then. Which is totally cool.

So My Manager and Mr. K have had more talks, and I'm having another call, and then I'm gonna write a pilot script. And then Big Company (I should call it, like, Big Company 2 or something, to avoid confusion) wants to take it to the networks during development season.

This could be good. This could be very, very good.

And if I get a TV show made, you know people will knock down our doors to make Siege, the pygmy/lesbian/circus script, or anything else Charlie and I cook up.

See, I'm doing this for him.

**

Oh, wait. Siege news. There is none. Well, I DID say we wouldn't hear back for a month or so. Of course Producer Dude is IMing me telling me how his preparations for Siege are going rally well and he can't wait to start production. I'm pretty sure he knows that he may not get the script. Pretty sure.