Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Imitation is the ... yada yada.. Flattery.

So you've all rented my movie, The Eliminator, right?

No? What's wrong with you people! Go rent it now!

Anyway, it's a happy little story about a group of people who are taken against their will and dropped on an island and told to fight it out, last one standing wins.

More or less.

Highly original, I know. Astoundingly brilliant, I agree. But hey, it got made. Back in ought-5. (2005).

So now there's this trailer for a new film starring Stone Cold Steve Austin. The Condemned. Near as I can figure, it's about a group of people who are taken against their will and dropped on an island and told to fight it out, last one standing wins.

Hmmm. That seems so familiar.

Am I saying somebody watched my tiny, insignificant movie and said "You know, pump 40 million into this, and this is an awesome flick!"?

No. But just watching the trailer, there are some similarities.

1) The lead is a big, burly bald guy. Just like my lead.

2) They are transported to the island by helicopter, and thrown out of the helicopter while still in the air and still chained/tied up. just like in my movie.

3) The lead guy shoots down a helicopter with a rifle. Just like in my movie.

4) Groups of people are shown watching the event take place on monitors and big screen TVs. Betting on the outcome. Just like my movie.

That's just the trailer.

So let that be a lesson to us all. B-Movies aren't bad movies, they're big action blockbusters made without any budget. If you take the same damn story, pump money into it, you get a wide release.