Wednesday, February 14, 2007

The Ying and Yang of Hollywood

Siege news!

So I'm minding my own business, working on a freelance writing gig I picked up to get some income while I wait for the riches to pour in (FYI: I'm a really great freelance writer, interviews, reviews, what not. Hire me!) when I get the following email from My Agent.

"Big Company passed on Siege."

That was the entire email. My Agent is an Agent of Many Words. Actually, My Agent didn't even spell out Big Company, but used initials. And all lowercase. So really it was:

"bc passed on siege."

So bummer. I write back.

"Bummer. Did they say why? Are they open to other projects from Charlie and myself? You got anyone else you want to run Siege by? Cause if not, if it's just gonna sit on the shelf, then Producer Dude wants it, so we'd just as soon give it back to him. Let me know."

So I tell Charlie. He cries. I tell My Manager. My Manager doesn't really care, because My Manager is concentrating on my big TV development deal with Other Big Company. Everyone agrees that once I get the say-so from My Agent, Siege rolls back to Producer Dude.

So the reply from My Agent?

"Hold off on giving Siege back to Producer Dude, David. Big Company has another project which is similar to Siege. That's why they passed. but now Contact at Big Company isn't sure that first project is going to happen, so Siege may still be alive. He'll know more on Monday after he talks with The Guy You've All Probably Heard Of."

Except, again, all lowercase. And not quite as eloquent. My Agent is, as I've said, an Agent of few words. It was actually more:

"hold off. competing project may break down, per c. c'll talk to g y p h o monday."

Funny how the initials for Guy You've Probably Heard Of come out "gypho." Sounds like a creature starring in one of the Sci-Fi Channel Saturday Night Monster Movies.

"They thought they were going for a relaxing monorail ride. They didn't count.. on Gypho!"

So my big "Siege News!" is.. that we'll hear more on Monday. See, they passed, before they didn't pass, until they know if they can pass.

I love Hollywood.